Stepping into the kitchen last Sunday morning I felt hungover, despite not drinking the night before. I only had a small window to prep food for the week so I scarfed blue corn chip crumbs and got to work. Quinoa balls were on the menu and I had better wake up if I was going to wing the recipe.
There’s a plethora of quinoa ball recipes on pinterest but I only ever liked bits and pieces of recipes. Ergo it was time to put my twist on things.
Into my blue bowl (heh, don’t read that too quickly) went the following goodies:
- ½ cup carrots – chopped
- ½ cup green peppers – chopped
- 2 handfuls spinach
- 1 zucchini – grated and squeezed dry
- 3 green onions
- 1 chia egg (I was out of real eggs but feel free to use one or a flax egg)
- ¼ cup cheese (I used daiya mozz.)
- 1 TBSP chickpea flour (feel free to substitute)
- 1 TBSP oil
- 2 ¼ cup of quinoa – cooked & warm/cooled – just not hot
- Seasoning – use what you love. I added 1 TBSP cayenne, 1 TBSP chili powder, 2 TBSP garlic powder and a sprinkle of salt.
Mix well then use a large mellon baller or ice cream scoop to put into muffin trays. Make sure you press the ingredients firmly into the scoop before transferring so the balls keep their shape. Makes 22-24 balls, depending on your scoop size ;-)
Bake at 350* for 15 minutes then broil on hi for 1 minute and voila!
I figured these would be decent but they were even more delicious than I imagined, must of done something right!
I am definitely adding these into the regular rotation. WIN!