Christmas treats have always been tied to Christmas memories. From intricate Greek treats churned out by my mom and yiayia to experimenting with new recipes it’s just not Christmas without a baking day.
My typical MO is a batch of macarons, trying something new, and massive batches of old favourites. This year was way more low- key than normal but I couldn’t let the season pass without a few favourites.
And it just wouldn’t be Christmastime without Candy Cane Shortbread; the perfect combination of carbs+chocolate+pepperminty goodness.
Candy Cane Shortbread
2 cups all purpose flour
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup sugar
1 tbsp vanilla extract
1 large egg yolk
8 ounces chocolate (chocolate chips or your favourite bar chopped)
1 package Hershey’s Candy Cane Kisses, chopped
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Line metal baking pan with parchment paper letting excess hang over sides of pan.
2. Whisk flour and salt together using an electic mixer until creamy. Beat in sugar slowly until mixture is just combined. Add in vanilla and then egg yolk. Gradually add in flour mixture until just blended.
3. With a tablespoon drop dough onto pan and use your fingers to flatten into an even layer. Use a fork to pierce dough all over.
4. Bake shortbread until light golden brown, 28-30 minutes. Immediately sprinkle chocolate on top and let it soften before spreading into a thin layer. Pop pan back into warm oven if needed. Sprinkle chopped candy cane kisses on top and let cool.
5. Using the parchment paper overhang lift shortbread from pan and cut into pieces using a large knife.